Thursday, March 15, 2007

More Than Me

I have made it to Lima safe and sound. It is quite beautiful here. The coast is lined with cliffs and after getting lost yesterday, I stubbled upon the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean. God´s world is truly amazing.

Before I got on the plane 2 days ago, I started to get worried about being alone. I hadnt felt this feeling in quite awhile. But now that I am here(granted I have only been here 2 days) I have a peace about the matter and I have faith that God is here with me. I think that there is a beauty in solitude and lonliness that drives us to be completely honest with ourselves. I am excited to see what God has in store for me.

One of my best friends wrote me a letter before I left and told me to read it on the plane. He said the most honest and encouraging sentence: Though I may have the time of my life or experience complete lonliness, this trip is not about me. He hit the nail on the head. This trip is about service, it is about helping, and most of all it is about love. I did not come here to love myself more, but to love serve the people around me. It will be vital that I remember this throughout the next year.

No comments: