Monday, April 23, 2007

Why Read?

The other day, I looked through the books that I have read since I have been here. As I thumbed through them, I realized that I could barely remember the plot or main subject of half the books. I thought that this was rediculous and began to get mad at myself. Why was I reading anyway? For quantity? To be able to say I have read this author or that author? It really frustrated me. Wy dont I spend more time in the street in Peru helping people instead of reading? That seemed to make more sense. as I sat there and thought about this I realized something extremely important:

It doesnt matter how much we read or what we read unless we let the content enter our present lives and become more than just words.

I realized that the importance of what I was reading only came to life when I let the book change me as I read it. Its ok if 2 months from now I cant tell you my favorite chapter or quote for this or that book. What is important is that I apply what I read today to my life and actions today. If I let a book change me right now, my actions will continue to reflect the most important parts of a book 2 months or 2 years from now.

It would be worse to be able to to tell you every important part of a certain book but not have my life reflect the words in it. Whats the point of reading if we dont let the words become real? I can talk about and quote any book in the world but if my actions remain stagnant, that is when reading and learning go in vain.