Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thanks for the hard times, seriously.

Like most people, I tend to avoid things that will obviously be difficult or strenuous. I think thats simple human nature. There is no need to throw ourselves into situations that will be hard on our spirit if they are at all avoidable.

But then there's how Life works. And Life sometimes just throws you into a difficult or hard situation and you never saw it coming.

How do you repsond to this? How do you react?

Life has thrown me into a difficult situation here in India and I find myself and my spirit being attacked on a daily basis. I have a strong spirit but I definitely feel like I am treading water here, bearly staying afloat.

I used to get frustrated and angry and yell at God, "What is the point of this? It's so stupid. It's useless."

But I now realize that everytime we are thrown into a difficult situation there is a very specific reason we are there. Most the time we dont know what that reason is until long after the actual situation is over. When I moved to San Francisco, I felt horribly alone for nearly 6 months. I had met people and had friends but still struggled with this unexplainable weight of anxiety due to loneliness. It was terrible and I would never wish that on anybody. But about the time that this feeling began to move away from me, I started to plan this trip: A world tour for nearly 2 years - Alone.

You can see this anyway you want, but I know that what I experienced in San Francisco was necessary for me to endure in order to make it through and thoroughly enjoy this journey.

You know that old quote, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"? It means alot more when you look at it through the lense of your own life.

Where I am right now isn't really my ideal situation, but I know I am being broken or prepared for something else, something bigger and more important. And when I can look at it this way I grow thankful in my heart that I am here. Now. And when I look back in a month or a year at my experience here I can laugh at how instrumental it was in some other aspect of my life.

No comments: