Sunday, April 6, 2008

Disneyland

Do you remember what it felt like the first time you pulled into the parking lot of Disneyland or a place like it? The excitement, wonder, and awe that comsumed your heart? The sense of adventure you felt and the overwhelming joy?

Last night I took a train from Tuni, India where I was working to Chennai to meet my friend who will be joining me for 2 months. I settled into my humble bunk bed and began listening to the Rolling Stones. Once the train began to move I instantly and involuntarily grew a ridiculous smile that stretched from ear to ear. It felt like I was a child again, walking up to the ticket counter at Disneyland with my dad, not able to contain my excitement. I was filled with joy and aware of the adventure I was a part of.

This feeling has touched my heart over and over again on this journey. There are times when its just not possible to hide the excitement that overwhelms me.

Everytime I sit on the back of a motorcycle taxi and ride through the streets of a new city with my backpack strapped to my back, I can't help but to feel like a child overwhelmed with the feeling of excitement and awe at what I'm doing or about to do.

Everytime I get on a train and sit by the door and let the air blow on my face as we pass through the countryside, I am reminded that this is my dream. A real dream that has become reality and my heart is consumed with excitement.

I hope that I always have moments in my life when I am overwhelmed with this childlike excitement. Those moments when every other thought escapes you and you can only see the beauty of what you are involved in right then and there. These moments help us remember that we are living and that we will always be children in a way, dreaming and imagining and experiencing everything that this amazing world has to offer.

No comments: