Friday, April 4, 2008

Static( The Opressed Heart)

Wow. March is finished. I never thought that the month was going to end.

I was trying to explain to a friend what the last month was like and compare it to something that would make sense. I came up with this:

It was like trying to go to sleep in a room with a television tuned to static and the volume all the way up. Imagine the frustration, turned anger, and then eventually the breakdown you would experience if you were in that situation. Thats the best way I can describe what this last month was like.

Static. All day, everyday.

I could have left, this is true. But in this instance I felt it was something that I needed to experience and I knew that God would use it to work on my hardened heart.

But there are so many other times in my life that I have voluntarily entered into a situation that was full of useless and frustrating static. Static that would get in the way of my creativity, my imagination, and my ability to see life as an opportunity to do something amazing. Static that would oppress my heart to the point that the only thing I could think about was how to make it through each day without breaking down. There is no peripheral world when I get myself into a situation full of static, one that constantly oppresses my heart.

This is what happened to me when I took my job in San Francisco. I saw dollar signs and nothing else when I took the job. Then a few months in I realized that I was miserable. I had voluntarily entered into a situation full of static that eventually oppressed my heart and stole my creativity.

I think we really need to be aware of this. That we as human being tend to get blinded by what is not important in life and eventually loose site of what life is about becuase all the hope and excitement we once had has become oppressed by the static we voluntarily entered into.

If we can keep this fresh in our minds we can approach each situation with a knowledge and strength that won't allow us to get ourselves into these positions. Or maybe if we already are, the strength and perseverence to leave our current situation for something that liberates instead of oppresses.

No comments: